Back on Mission and Free from Fear

The natural goal of fear is to promote self preservation - a fight or flight response. For a Christian, however, fear can take you from a place of faith and power to a place of anxiety and shut down the Mission of Jesus when people most need it.

So how do we address the waves of fear and despair that continue to billow from every direction? Recognize that in as much as I am fear-filled, my life is still my own.

It seems like many ministers are spending a lot of time telling their people how to apply their faith to "protect themselves" from the current "threat." In listening to this, it strikes me that the focus is placed on the individual and counterproductive. I don’t fault anyone for concern, but “faith” for self-preservation denies three important truths: 1) If I have given my life to Christ, it is no longer my life to worry about. 2) An inward-focused church is not a mission-focused church. 3. God's faith working by love within us is for others!

1) If I have given my life to Christ, it is no longer my life to worry about.

The Apostle Paul, facing imminent persecution and death while writing to others who also were, said: "For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord’s." (Rom. 14:8) he saw no difference from life here and life in the presence of the Lord. He did not fear because he knew that his life was not limited to his mortal existence.

You may say, as my daughter did, "but I'm not worried about dying, I just don't want to get sick!" Valid. No one wants to be sick, hungry, uncomfortable. But the rule applies, if my life is not mine, then I have entrusted my care entirely to the only one who can truly take care of me...my Heavenly Father!

When the Apostle Peter wrote (1 Peter 5:7-9) about casting off your anxieties, he was talking about the entirety of your life, not just a momentary struggle. He also implies that getting rid of anxiety will clear, or "sober" your mind so that you are ready to stand against the adversary in faith!

One day Jesus challenged his team by asking, “Why take a thought about your lives?” (Matt 6:25-23) He went on to say that our Heavenly Father knows our needs before we ask. He was attempting to move them away from their focus on the distractions of life such as food, clothing, etc., and onto the mission.

If I truly believe that I belong to the Lord then I am free to stop worrying about my life; it is not my own! God is in control of my life and thinking about me neither changes God's perspective or my situation.
In as much as I am fear-filled, my life is still my own.
2) An inward-focused church is not a mission-focused church.

We, that is the Church, have a great opportunity -- if only for a moment -- to minister to a fear-filled world. I feel, however, that many of God's people are so focused on preserving their own lives that they are to paralyzed to reach out. Again, an inward-focused church is not a mission-focused church.

Maybe the current challenge is going to hang around for a long time. Maybe not. Regardless, there will be other times of great fear and chaos in the earth as there have always been. The point is that in those times, people are open to consider their mortality more than ever. If the church turns inward to focus on "self-preserving faith" every time a crisis happens, then hasn’t the proverbial salt lost its savor? What good is it then? (Matt 5:13-16)

Our mission -- proliferation of the Gospel -- has not changed nor has the focus of the Holy Spirit. It didn't change through Roman persecution, the black plague, countless wars, famines, diseases or even good times! It is the same today as Jesus is the same, yesterday, today and forever. (Heb 13:8)
An inward-focused church is not a mission-focused church.
3) God's faith working by love within us is for others!

The love of God is constantly reaching out to others. His love dwells in you by His Spirit. Instead of seeking the Lord for "faith" to protect yourself, try asking Him for faith to give yourself away. Ask how you can reduce fear, pain and suffering in someone else's life. Ask how you can be a blessing to someone else.

John the Apostle announced the cure to fear in his first letter to yet another persecuted church. He said that "perfect love drives out fear." (1 John 4:18-19) These people were fearing for their lives under terrible persecution. Yet John said that the realization of the love of God would free them from fear. When we are free from fear, we are free to take action!

There is one sure way to stay free from fear: get back to the mission and, through the love of God working in your heart, give yourself away. When I am no longer self-conscious, and when I am love conscious, I am no longer fear conscious.

It is possible that your are paralyzed by fear because your life is still your own. Maybe this is the day to recognize that and recommit your life to Christ -- to give it back to Him or even give it to Him for the first time.

Prayer: Lord, I recognize today that I am not in control of my life, nor have I ever really been! I desire today to give my life to you to use for your purposes.  Show me a way to give myself away rather than seeking to preserve my life. To share your love while trusting you for my life here and after I depart from this life,. In Jesus name I pray.




Photos:
1.
2.
3.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agreement, Yes — But Who with Whom?

A Common Persuasion